Monday, November 15, 2010

Bocaballs!

Meatballs - Meat + Boca Ground Crumbles= Bocaballs, which is what I made for dinner tonight! I found this recipe on boca.com and tweaked it to my liking after getting a rare craving for a meatball sub. I made Brian a meaty meatball sub, and just a bocaball sub for myself.


And yes, that is the beautiful sub I made for myself. To make this gorgeous bocaball sub, you will need:

2 cups frozen Boca Ground Crumbles
3/4 cup breadcrumbs
1 egg
1 cup spaghetti sauce, divided
1 tsp oil
1 tbsp Garlic Powder
1 tbsp dried diced onion
Italian herbs and spices (I used parsley, sage, and oregano)
Mozzarella cheese
Hoagie buns
Butter

Microwave the crumbles for about 45 seconds, then add the breadcrumbs, egg, 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce, garlic, onion, and whatever Italian herbs you could come up with. Stir well, then roll the "meat" into balls. This recipe makes about 12, depending on the size of your balls (Ha ha! I'm so immature!).

Heat the oil in a skillet on medium heat and add the meat balls. Cover and cook about 5 minutes, turning the balls once halfway through. Remove the cover and lower the heat to medium-low. Let simmer another 4-5 minutes.

While those cook, butter up a few hoagie buns liberally on the inside of the bun. Get a griddle (or a skillet) nice and hot and toast the buns, inside down. Mine took about 5 minutes to get nice and brown on the bottom. Flip the buns, the topside should only take a couple minutes to get nice and crispy.

Fill your hoagie buns with the balls and sprinkle with cheese. I sauteed some peppers and onions, but mushrooms or whatever fresh veggies you have on stock would be just as good. Top with the remaining sauce and revel in the amazingness that is bocaballs.

No comments:

Post a Comment