Saturday, November 6, 2010

Taste the Rainbow!

One of the main appeals of vegetarian cooking is how colorful it all is. In my mind, the more colorful a dish is, the better it will taste. That's one of the reasons I was so attracted to this recipe for Rainbow Cake I found on Omnomicon. It just looked so pretty!

The really nice thing about cake is how versatile it is. Sometimes, I make this in a bundt pan. Sometimes, I make this in a regular 13x9 pan. Someday, I might make a round double-stacked rainbow cake. When I'm feeling really ambitious, I make rainbow cupcakes.

If you want the fat-free version of this recipes, visit Aleta over at Omnomicon and follow her recipe using sprite and pudding and cool whip.


To make this amazing, fantastic, psychedelic cake you only need two ingredients.

1 box of white cake mix (I use french vanilla)
1 box of Betty Crocker Gel Food Colors (I use neon, but they also come in Classic)

First, you'll need to make the cake mix according to the directions on the box. You could also make your own white cake mix, if you're feeling like a super chef.

Split the cake mix into four individual bowls, and add a squeeze of color into each bowl and mix well. There's no need to go overboard, these gel colors are a lot bolder than those liquid food colors we grew up with. In whatever pan you choose to use, layer the colors, being sure not to mix them. This is what it should look like:



Don't try to swirl the colors, or you'll get grey/brown batter. The cake will still taste pretty good, but it won't be nearly as cool.

Bake according to package directions and add your favorite icing.

Oh, and for the love of God,

DON'T FORGET TO GREASE YOUR PAN!

I can't tell you how many times I've gotten really excited about a new dessert recipe and forgotten to grease the pan. Ruins the whole presentation, trust me.

No comments:

Post a Comment