Thursday, November 4, 2010

Introductions are in Order...

Hello, readers! My name is Natalie, as you could probably tell from the title, and I love to cook. However, I do run into some difficulties. Such as a picky boyfriend, an itty bitty budget, and virtually no time to actually get into the kitchen. Yet, somehow, I still manage to make some pretty awesome dinners when I actually get the chance.

For my pilot post, I've decided to post one of my favorite recipes ever: Pepper Penne.


Looks good, doesn't it? I make this recipe a lot with whatever happens to be lying around the house. Here's what I found in my fridge last night:

1 Zucchini
1 Green Bell Pepper
1 Red Bell Pepper
1 Tomato
3 Tbsp Lemon Juice
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
Garlic Pepper
Cayenne Pepper
Cilantro
A Handful of Montery Cheddar Cheese
A box of whatever noodles you have on stock (I like to use penne, but on this particular night I didn't have enough for a full dish so I added some butterfly pasta that I had leftover)

I stopped measuring herbs and spices a long time ago because most of the time it should be "to taste." I, for instance, love hot and spicy food. So I used a healthy dose of cayenne. Likewise, if you're a huge garlic fan, add more garlic. If you don't have garlic pepper, you could just as easily substitute black pepper and garlic powder.

Start by putting a pot of water on the stovetop to boil. While you wait for that, chop up all your vegetables and throw them in a pan with the olive oil. Heat over medium-high heat and throw the noodles in the boiling water. If you use a pasta with a shorter cooking time, you may want to wait until your vegetables have cooked a few minutes. The vegetables should have between 10-15 minutes on top of the stove so if you choose angel hair pasta, wait until the very end to add it.

After your vegetables have cooked about 5-7 minutes, add the lemon juice, garlic pepper, cayenne pepper, and cilantro. Be sure to stir the vegetables to ensure that everything gets coated. There should be a fair amount of liquid in the pan, simmer the vegetables in it until your noodles are done. Drain your noodles and add the vegetable mixture. Top with cheese (again, however much you want, just be sure not to overpower the vegetables) and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment